BOHEMIAN STREET-DREAMS

Our short summer-trip led us finally to old cities of Bohemia on our way back home to Berlin. So we have  stayed finally at Budweis and Cesky Krumlov for a night and a day, enough time for collecting some interesting and nice street-impressions while loafing through these towns.

Old houses at Cesky Krumlov

Specially decorated distribution box for electricity

Greened facade and door

Strange advertisement for an art-gallery at Budweis

Former Austrian Emperor hanging over the bar at Restaurant Schwejk in Cesky Krumlov

Medieval watch-tower in Budweis at midnight

Market-place of Cesky Krumlov

 Fashion outlook in a shop’s window

The lovely studio house of the Austrian painter Egon Schiele at Cesky Krumlov

Egon Schiele, Stadtende (Häuserbogen III), 1913

Hardly any other place inspired Egon Schiele as much as Cesky Krumlov, one of the most beautiful Renaissance cities in Europe and an architectural jewel of first order. Despite the really too many tourists today, you still find very quiet and inspiring places in the city or optionally just make a surprising rafting tour on  Vitava river around the beautiful and impressive city. 

Vitava River is usually a calm place for rafting, but there are also some rapids around Cesky Krumlov which require a little bit of care in order to avoid an unintended bath in the cool waters

PRAVCICKA BRANA – GATE TO CZECH SWITZERLAND

Pravčická Brána is the largest natural stone bridge in Europe and a natural Czech monument, truly one of the most striking natural sites in the Elbe Sandstone Mountains and symbol of the whole region. It is located approximately 3 km North-West of Hrensko in the national park Czech Switzerland not far away from the border to Germany. Wandering paths are leading there both from Czech and German side where Saxonian Switzerland stretches.

Barberine Rock in Saxonian Switzerland, Germany
Postcard from 1906 showing the very first ascent

So this gate and bridge is connecting both countries in a beautiful and stunning landscape and may be visited during opening times for an entry fee. In 1826 an inn was constructed by the gate, and in 1881 Prince Edmund of Clary-Aldringen built there the romantical hotel Sokolí hnízdo (English: Falcon’s Nest) with 50 beds which you can see in the photo hereunder. 

Jo’s Monday walk : A tale of three castles- 2. Alnwick